Saturday, July 18, 2009

Who the heck is Dean Young?

Just ordered the last few books few books I plan to read by the end of the summer. Sometime in May I made a wishlist of the books, here is what it looked like. 

1) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, By Junot Diaz
2) Anybook by Paulo Coelho
3) Arabian Night
4) Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros
5) LOTS of poetry

The first book I read was The Brief Wondrous Life...and it was fabulous! I just love the way this author told this story, with such easy, great dialogue and just plain damn good writing. Not only does it relay a wonderful story, but as a plus, you get a very in depth (without the drowning) history of the Dominican Republic. 

By the River Piedra I Sat and Wept, was the book I read from one of my favorite authors, Paulo Coelho. I liked it, but did not love it. Like make of his books it had a clever twist attached to it, yet I thought it lacked content for most the part. What I love about his books is that they are very spiritual, provoking you to think how each book could be applied to your life. I would recommend this book to others, but I only after I had recommend some of his books first.

Arabian Nights, a classic. Everyone needs to have this book at home, if not to read, then to just put it on the bookshelf and have others think you are cultured. Ha! I have always wanted to read this book as a kid, and now that I'm an adult and had $6.95 to my name, I figured heck why not buy it. I bought the book, but not with the intent to have it finished by end of this summer, but to rather keep it on my night stand and read a few stories at a time. I made it through about 10 stories and then a good friend of my saw me reading it at the coffee shop and asked to borrow it. So now he has it and now people will look at his bookshelf and think: "Man this guy is cultured".   

As I mentioned before, I just ordered Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros and I am very excited to read it. Not only do I love her as a writer, but I would also like to see if this book could serve me for my Chicano Literature class this fall. I'd like to say that I have bought this book before, maybe as a Christmas present or something, but whatever, it should be in the mail this week. Yay!

Dean Young. All I have been hearing about lately is about this guy named Dean Young. I guess you can see how fresh I am to the U.S. poetry world, as this guy, this poet happens to be the main HOMBRE! From what I have gathered and researched, he is basically the brain child in contemporary poetry. I have read some of his poems and they are fascinating. His randomness is crazy, but somehow seem to be connected. I am very excited to get my hands on his book Embryoyo. I'm also very curious how my brain reacts to his work, I hope it doesn't explode, actually that is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to read the work of a poet that will knock me off my shoes, make me LOVE poetry as poets like: Neruda, Cisneros, Soto, Cardenal, Pizarnik, Vailakis and Kooser have done. 

Dean Young....bring it on sucka!

No comments:

Post a Comment