Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The House on Mango Street comes to life!


One of my all time favorite books: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is coming to life in a short one-hour play here in Omaha at the Rose Theatre. If you have not read this book, I STRONGLY urge you to get off your lazy facebooking butt and pick up this quick read, because it truly is a masterpiece. 

I have taught this book to my students at Boys Town and they were just enchanted by the themes, words and symbolisms. I felt that everyone one of my students was able to relate their own life to the experiences that Esperanza (the protagonist) saw growing up in Chicago. I also used this book this summer as part of my Chicano Literature class, and as I knew it would, it was a blockbuster hit even amongst the adults. It was such a delight to discuss all the great characteristics this crafty author interwove between each of her short stories. 

The play will be here for the month of October. I don't know if this is a traveling play, but at least do your brain a favor and go buy the book and thank me later. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment