Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Picture Perfect Picasso?


This morning I read on someone's blog how our brain actually interprets distorted images a lot better than proper images. The article claims that when we see a distorted image, it give our brain freedom to explore/imagine what this image might be and thus initiating our brain to work a bit harder, creating a chain reaction of remembering, recalling, interpreting and imagining. This is why many people find it easier to recognize an animated version of Bill Clinton as opposed to a photograph of him. 

This article got me thinking about two different ideas: 

First,  can this be why so many people are attracted to the painting of such artist like Picasso and Dali or maybe even architecture like Gaudi or Frank Lloyd Wright? Is the attraction in the distortion of what we deem "normal"? 

Second, I wonder if this hypothesis applies to writers and how they create their literature. Are certain people attracted to abstract poetry rather than blocker-buster cliche mystery novels for the reason that it creates a distorted image? Will I remember something that is out of place better than something I know should be "normal"?

Personally I find it intriguing when poets distort images in their art, but than again, I also had three Picasso posters up on my walls during my college years.   

Your thoughts...?

No comments:

Post a Comment