Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chicago


Happy Valentines Day!!

Unfortunately for me I don't get to spend the day with my wife, she is on call from 7am-7pm so we celebrated our V-day this Friday. What did we do...? We got all glamed out and we went to go see the musical "Chicago", which after seeing it, I don't know if it is the most romantic tale, after all, many of the characters in the play kill their husbands. Yikes! Nevertheless, it was really good. Good laughs, great dancing, awesome entertainment and I love those nights when Erin and I get dressed up and head downtown, makes me feel alive.

After the show we went to a posh hotel-bar, which happens to be the same hotel we stayed at for our wedding night. We had some drinks, ordered a dessert and actually were able to meet some of the people in the musical. Many of them were the male dancers, and they were all very nice. I think I was the only straight guy in the whole bar. I don't feel like you see a lot gay men in Omaha, so it was nice to see a change of ambiance. We couldn't believe how much these men traveled. They were on the road for literally 9 months out of the year, but damn what a cool life to live for a few years. Travel, meet people, see new cities and of course get to perform in front of tons of people. I think in my ego-life, I would have loved to of been in a successful rock band. The thought of sing my songs in front of hundreds of people would be such an experience.

Speaking of Chicago, it looks like that could be a possible place where we might head in two years. We have been there once and loved it. The residency programs are great for Erin, teachers get paid very well and I'm sure there is a lot more opportunity for me as far as getting my Ph.D or getting a full-time at a Community College. Plus, it is Chicago! How can you not love: The Cubs, Oprah, Deep-Dish Pizza, Sears Tower, The House on Mango Street, Chicago Fire and of course...its Chicago duh.

So I think Erin will try to do an externship (meaning she will do a month rotation there) just so we can get a good feel for it. The plane tickets are also very cheap from Omaha and Phoenix, so our parents/siblings could come visit us often or we can go back home too.

Chicago, Chicago, Chicago...who knows.... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment