Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Wilbur is my homeboy


Time flies when you are having fun, as the old saying goes. This weekend my wife and I traveled down to Arizona for a very short trip. We arrived in Tucson at about 10:30 am and headed straight for my parents house. It had been since last April since I'd been home, but some things never change, especially home sweet home.

The trip was meant for a pre-celebration to my birthday this coming Friday. As part of my birthday present my brother, Aldo, got everyone tickets to the University of Arizona football game. My family has never really been big on football as U of A basketball has dominated the lime-light in Tucson for the past 20 years, but since our basketball team sinks like yesterdays underwear, our football team will had to do. To make things even better, we are ranked pretty high (or were ranked, until our lost that evening).

The Wildcats did not start off to a good start. I'm no expert on football, but I'd say that our defense lost the game for us. Just as it seemed we were going to get a turnover on downs, the Oregon State Beavers were right back in it. Their QB was pretty damn good. I was really impressed on how well he was connecting throughout the game.

How do you know you're in Tucson? When you hear a Mariachi play during half-time. Mariachis from different schools played during the half-time show. I love hearing Mariachi music, especially when I'm in Tucson. Although it isn't part of my immediate culture, it is part of my Tucsonan culture.

The game was great. The atmosphere was energetic and could be felt even more with our seats that were right next to the Oregon State fans. A lot of smack talking going back and forth. No fist punches, but we did see two pretty blondes talking smack to each other, my wife thought they would really fight. Although we lost the game, it was still so much fun hanging out with the familia and cheering on the home team.

I do have to say that Wildcat fans aren't as crazy as Husker fans, but we'll get there with our football team. Just to put things in perspective, season tickets for the Arizona games only cost $92 dollars, that kind of money might get you a decent seat at a Huskers football stadium. Well at least we don't have to put on corn-hats to show our die-hard loyalty to our team.

ps. How cool is the shirt my brother has of Wilbur the Wildcat!

No comments:

Post a Comment