Sunday, September 13, 2009

Serena Williams


Unfortunately for Serena Williams, despite winning 11 Grand Slams, she will be remembered by some, as the angry tennis player that yelled at a line judge. I have never been a big fan of Serena, but it's not to say that I don't admire what her and her sister have accomplished. I still remember reading the article from Tennis Magazine when I was a young teenager about two young African-American girls from Compton with a crazy dad, predicted to dominate the tennis world in the coming years. That is exactly what they have done. Dominate.

The chain of events of what happened at this U.S Open sparked some conversation at the tennis clinics I teach on Sunday afternoon. I was so surprised as to how in awe people were by the way that Serena had reacted. Do I agree with the way she handled the situation? No of course not, but at the same time I'm not going to crucify her cussing out a line judge. Why do I think people are making this such a big deal: young, single, black, talented female.

Nobody gets on John McEnore's ass about the thousands of tantrums he's thrown in his two decade career. By the way he still does them. If fact, he gets paid to act like an asshole on the court. Go to any Senior Tour event and if Johnny Mac is playing, I guarantee you he is going to throw a fit. Why? Because that is what people want to see.

How about Jennifer Capriati? Girl gets stoned, arrested and leave the tennis tour. How did the media react...slap on the wrist. By the way, have you seen the on court tantrums she's had on the court? If not, YouTube them, not too nice.

I really wish the media would take it easy on Serena. What she did and said, was out of character, but do you ban someone from Grand Slam events because of it. I don't know. If that is the case, then we should see less and less tennis players. How could Serena not get mad about that call. It was ridiculous with ridiculous timing and to top it off, cameras have proven that she DIDN'T even foot fault.

For the first time in my life, I'm rooting for Serena on this one, give the girl a break (no pun intented).

No comments:

Post a Comment