Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Notes


Happy September! Wow I can't believe September is already here and nearly half way through it.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Some pretty exciting things coming up. First is the Omaha Lit Fest which will be held Sept. 17-19. The one event that I am really looking forward to is seeing and hearing Ted Kooser speak Sept 17th. I am also looking forward to networking with some other writers in the Omaha community. I know there is this great community that is willing to share their thought/ideas/work with other, I just haven't found them yet. I hope attending some of the events will help me make new friends in the poetry world.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The follow day after the Lit Fest, my wife and I have signed up to do a 10k run/walk. I think I'm liking the right side of the slash a little better, since I'm not in shape to run 10k's. Who is? Well I guess my brother Cayo, but he is half human, half awesome so that doesn't count. Erin (my wife) did buy me some great running shoes to help motivate me and it has worked. I have been running a little more, but I just find it so hard to runn for a long period of time, unless I'm chasing a ball. Anyways I think it should be fun, I plan on bringing my iPod in case the running part gets a little to hard.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Sept 22, big day for Senor Bravo. I will be giving a speech/presentation at the Sarpy Center at one of the Metro CC locations. This presentation is in promotion of Hispanic Heritage Month and the topic will be "Code-Switching and Spanglish" in Chicano Literature. I'm very excited about this topic, because I think it is a very interesting topic that we will continue see be used among Latino/Chicano writers in the years to come. I have begun the research and I think I have a pretty good grasp about what I'll be covering, so this weekend I'm going to concentrate on the powerpoint...I hate making powerpoints!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Very excited about my lastest poetry purchase: My Kill Adore Him by Paul Martinez Pompa. I've been waiting patiently for this book to come out and now I have ravished through the book, completely indulged with poetic bliss. Damn this guy is good. Bold, blunt and beautiful. I can't say that I love every poem, but the ones that I do love, I REALLY love. Some of my favorite titles are:
-Pulling Tongue
-Flirting
-Amputee Etcetera
-Commercial Break
-Exclamation Point

If you really enjoy poetry, and enjoy Latinos, this is the book for you. Totally recommend it, plus the cover design is pretty sweet (pun intended).

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Still waiting to hear back from WriteLife about The Traveler. Still working on The Papaya Plot. Still working on revising Crossing Back, The Other Guey. Got some great help today from a good friend. Had another friend call and said they really liked it.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Bought my ticket to Tucson! Yay! Going to be there Nov. 6-8. I'm really excited to see my family and hang out at the house, eat some good food, visit old friends and find new inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment