Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Break


Though the picture of the beach looks pretty sweet, this is definitely not how my spring break turned out. If fact, it snowed on the second day of my three days off, but it was a nice break from school and the chaos of my weekly schedule. I was able to get a lot of small things done that I would normally stress out about, such as finding time to go to the doctors. What a different it makes to have a few spare hours to get some of your "chores" done. I feel like I'm always on the go during the week and by the time the weekend comes around all I want to do is just relax and veg a little.

I did happen to order a few books that I'm really excited about.
-Chronic, D.A. Powell
-Bird Eating Bird, Kristin Naca
-Faith Run, Ray Gonzalez
-The Romantic Dogs, Roberto Bolaños

I'm most excited to receive my copy of the Bolaños text. From all the review I have read, he is probably the best "new" writer coming from Latin America. The only problem is, and it is a big problem, is that he died almost seven years ago. From what I have read, he had a very erratic life, jumping from job to job, country to country, being heavily involved in the anti-political movements of Chile and to top it off, was a heroin addict. Hows that for "Rock Star" status. Fro what I have gathered, his best work are his novels, particularly a novel titled: 2666. (I plan to read it this summer, all 996 pages of it!), but I wanted to get his book of poetry, because Bolaños said he considered himself first and foremost a poet. So...I'll anxiously wait for his book to arrive and maybe discover, as all have said, the best "new" Latin America author.

No comments:

Post a Comment